Biometric & Blockchain: The Successors of Passwords in Cyber Security

Just few more years and you will not need to create or remember long and complicated passwords. According to the U.S.-based company Spiceworks, passwords will say their goodbyes by the end of 2020 and will get replaced by biometric, iris, and fingerprint scanners.

0
1117
Biometric & Blockchain The Successors of Passwords in Cyber Security
Blockchain In Cyber Security: The First Step to Overthrow Passwords

‘Password must contain at least six characters, an uppercase, a symbol, and a number.’ ‘Your Password is expired.’ People are tired of such notifications; however, there is good news regarding such irritating passwords. According to a study, the use of passwords will seize to exist before 2020 and they will be replaced by biometrics, iris, and fingerprint scanners. The leading companies are ditching passwords as they are more prone to hacking and identity theft than other security options such as biometric, fingerprint, and iris scanners.

Passwords have served humanity for decades now and it is time to push them off the cliff. Passwords are susceptible to theft and there are just too many of them to remember. According to a survey, a person requires an average 130 accounts with passwords. In addition, another study says that 35 percent of users have weak passwords and the remaining 65 percent of users have passwords that can be cracked easily. Today’s smartphones have in-built fingerprint scanner that can unlock a phone within a fraction of a second. Furthermore, it increases the ease of access as user does not need to remember a password, pattern, or does not have to find a common ground between ‘easy to remember’ and ‘hard to guess’ password.

In a recent interview, Alex Simons, the director of program management in Microsoft’s identity division, said, “The world has seen a rapid evolution from passwords to swipe-smart cards to biometric scanners. Passwords are a weak link in cyber security, and they are hard to keep track of. However, by one touch, biometric scanners can authenticate user’s face, thumbprint, or iris scans to confirm ownership.”

According to the U.S.-based IT company Spiceworks, about 90 percent of businesses will use biometric authentication by 2020. Today, most of the companies use biometric scanners and only about 14 percent of them use facial recognition. Microsoft has always been eager to kill passwords. In 2015, Microsoft introduced Windows Hello that used face or fingerprints scans to log in to the PCs. Currently, fingerprint scanners are leading the market; however, the introduction of Face ID in iPhone X has boosted the facial recognition market. Despite the popularity of biometrics, they are imperfect to secure various accounts, and any pair of twins will sound that. Thus, the researchers have turned toward blockchain to secure the data.

Not only Microsoft but also the companies such as Remme want to get rid of passwords altogether by building blockchain-based software to kill the need of passwords. The company generates a unique SSL/TLS certificate for every device. The certificate is stored on blockchain, ensuring its security as it is extremely difficult to meddle with the data. In addition, Remme allows two-factor authentication using any app of their users’ choice to add extra level of security. The use of blockchain avoids all the tedious demands of passwords and user does not have to remember anything. If one’s device is stolen, the data will be safe as there is no password or a pattern to crack.

Though the idea of blockchain in cyber security is new, and is in its infancy, it might get accepted globally. Therefore, let’s hope that it proves to be extremely useful in future and simplifies our live

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here